Sunday, October 14, 2007

Cat Tale of 2000 - Written in January 2001

There are some things I have sent out and you know about them, newer friends don't and might get a chuckle out of them, this is one of them...

Dear Family and Friends,

Happy New Year!

Some of you got Christmas cards and some of you didn't. For those that didn't, my sincere apology. Some of you have heard my tale (tail) of woe and some of you have not...

Being the person that I am, I had been feeding the neighborhood cat population (Cindy's Kitty Cafe). There was a cat that I did not know and he had been coming around for quite awhile. Not exactly the friendly type and quite nervous, but I tried to be as calm and as kind as I could be. I think he was finally getting use to me, I had actually managed to pet him while he ate one day. I know, you should never try to handle a male while he's eating. But I thought we were making progress and having a relationship...silly me.

On the 14th of December I decided that he needed to be adopted before the really cold weather hit. Well you all know that I have a 19 year cat and I certainly couldn't bring him in until he was checked out by the vet. So there I was before work, bribing him with turkey slices and getting closer and closer to the cat carrier. Then being one who lacks a lot of patience I decided to help him into the cat carrier. WRONG! Quick as a whip he grabbed my right index finger and bit me like there was no tomorrow. OUCH! and a few other well chosen (or not so well chosen) words escaped my lips. At this point it was a lost cause and I needed to go to work. So I washed my finger in hot water and soap and dumped half a bottle of peroxide on it and went to work.

I did all the right things and went for a tetanus shot. I mean really, I've been bit by a cat before, how much trouble can one cat create. Well, the next morning my finger is swollen and red and hurts like..., so off I go to the instacare place. Bad news...cats have the worst bites,then humans and then dogs. Oh great, now they tell me.

So I have to have intravenous antibiotics right then and I have to come back that night for more and then again on Saturday morning. Ok, so that's not too bad, three doses and I'm better. Piece of cake, right? Not even!

I go back that night at 8:00 to get dose #2 and at that point the doctor determines after marking my hand and watching the infection move a 1/4 inch in 30 minutes that maybe I need a hand doctor. So off they send me to the hospital emergency room (on a Friday night no less, but surprisingly I didn't have a very long wait). The doctor sees me and tells me I need to be admitted and am probably going to have surgery the next day. All because I got bit by a cat...

I was in the hospital for six days (I know people who've had open heart surgery that were out in three days). I hurt my mother's feelings, because I'm feeling really stupid and guilty that it's the weekend before Christmas and I'm keeping her from doing what she needs to do and I keep telling her to go and all she wants to do is be with me (I don't realize at the time how serious the infection is).

I have to admit I have THE best mother in the world. When I finally got out on the 21st, she stayed with me until Christmas day and was the best nurse. I was released with a pickline to give myself the intravenous antibiotics three times a day for another seven days, plus having to take an oral antibiotic once a day.

Now you're all probably wondering what happened to the cat (or not, but I'm going to tell you anyway). Animal Control came out the night I went to the hospital and put out a cat trap. He slept around it but never went in until I came home from the hospital and we had a talk. I told him how sorry I was for what had happened and what was going to happen and that I knew he hadn't meant to hurt me. He was in the cat trap the next morning. Animal control came to get him and I cryed all day, we figure that he was very sick and thank heavens he didn't have rabies. But he is now in kitty heaven chasing butterflies and rolling in catnip and having a much better time than he had here on earth. At least it makes me feel better to believe that!

And my saga continues, I am back on oral antibiotics and have to have physical therapy to get my finger back to "normal". I hope this happens really soon! I can hardly wait to see what 2001 brings to me! But hey, I'm always good for a laugh...it's why you all keep me around! Here's hoping that your holidays were much more fun than mine and that you have a wonderful 2001.

I appreciate having you all in my life, for your love, your friendship and your emails!
Beware of strays...

Love to all!

3 comments:

Joyce said...

It is so nice to read the thoughts and adventures of Cindy Lou Who. I LOVE your blog. I am so glad I get to read it whenever and see your new posts and keep up-to-date with you a little better! Yippeeee!

Jana said...

you are wonderful Cindy lou who!

Joyce said...

thanks for the article on starter husbands. i will tell you what I think when I get around to reading it. I love leaving comments on your blog.... hi Cindy!!!