Thursday, July 10, 2008

Pets and Death

First off, let me say, I love my cats!! I really do! I also love them enough to let them go when it is time!

And what started this post was an article in Time magazine about doing stem-cell replacement therapy for pets...nor do I think we should be cloning our pets!! Enough already, pets are becoming almost as expensive as having children!!!

I was extremely blessed with my first cat, Sheena ("my baby"), I got her when she was eight weeks old...she lived to be 21 years old. She was diagnosed at age 15 with early renal failure. I didn't do much except change her food and once a year I had blood work done to make sure every thing was working as it should. Every day past her 15th birthday I felt was a blessing. She got to the point where she couldn't hear, she was having difficulty walking and her teeth were gone. I just knew when it was time.

The boys were a different story, they both developed diabetes. Max was put to sleep the same month he was diagnosed. Simon was diagnosed a year later and was put to sleep five months later. I personally could not see giving my cats two or three shots a day to control their diabetes...not the quality of life I saw for them. I was blessed to have them both and I miss them.

I have watched people hold onto their animals far too long for the comfort and well-being of the animal. How kind is that?

I know that pets are not disposable, nor would I ever give back one that I had (I walked away from my first condo for Sheena when she was seven, well worth it since she lived 14 more years). I just know that my responsibilty to them is to give them a good home, keep them as healthy and as happy and well-cared for as I can without going into debt because we have the technology. Just because we have the technology doesn't mean that it needs to be used to extend a life, and technology doesn't mean quality of life!

Just my thoughts as I live with the not so newest members of my household, Hunter and Bella.

"Every life should have nine cats!"

1 comment:

Mills Family said...

I agree, i love my cats alot and i would do almost anything for them, I even had to move out of my first apartment cuz we got caught with them and so we were told either get rid of the cats or move out so we moved, hello there was no way I was getting rid of my cats and they are still with me 9 years later.