Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Oh, Sweet Charity -- "It's for the Children"

Every year the Primary Children's Medical Center has a fund raiser called The Festival of Trees. Trees of every size are decorated and donated to raise funds for the children. There are all sorts of wonderful things there, a gift boutique, centerpieces, gingerbread houses and wreaths.

I go every year on opening night because it's less crowded and you get to bid on things. I take my mom and we wander around. We both found things to bid on...she a centerpiece and I a small ceramic angel that started at $10. I made the first bid and came back a short while later and someone had bid $15, so I went to $20 and left. I came back and the bid was $25, so I bid $26 and left again. When I came back "she" was there raising the bid to $30, so I bid $31 and spoke with her telling her how much I liked the angel and it had blue in it which is my favorite color, etc. So she pats me on the arm and says I can have it and isn't wonderful what they do for the children. So I get it!

On December 10th, I was doing a little shopping to finish up what I needed for my sorority group party. I had run into the dollar store and what was the first thing I saw...a shelf filled with my precious angel..."It's for the children", I kept repeating as I called my friend and laughed hysterically. I can't believe someone donated something from the dollar store!!! And I paid $31 for it...

No comments: